POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.programming : A common povray source tree ? : Re: A common povray source tree ? Server Time
26 Sep 2024 19:25:21 EDT (-0400)
  Re: A common povray source tree ?
From: Thomas Willhalm
Date: 13 Feb 2003 04:23:28
Message: <3e4b6410@news.povray.org>
Johan De Messemaeker wrote:

> Nicolas Calimet wrote:
>
>> For instance I note that povwin-3.5 contains source for all the
>> supporting library (zlib, png, tiff, jpeg) while others (unix) don't.
>
> I don't see the point in doing this. Most Linux distributions install
> these libraries by default.

If I understand Nicolas' intention correctly, the point is that he wants
a unified archive, so that everything is included for every platform.
As a result person A can write a patched version of - say - Linux
and person B can compile it on Windows -- hopefully without fiddling
in the sources.

As for the libraries I agree with you. They do not really belong to
the source code of povray. I would suggest to move them outside the povray
package and provide separate archives.

However, as the POV-Team does not support an open development, things
like that are unlikely to happen.

Thomas